Tuesday, September 13, 2011


When I made the pillow cover from the Quilt-It Kit, I did not buy a pillow form and made my own by sewing together two 15in x 15in squares using a 1/2in seam allowance. I then stuffed it with polyester fiberfill and VOILA!!
Here is a wonderful tutorial on how to make basic pillow form in different sizes!


I finally managed to upload a photo of my completed quilted pillow that I made following the Quilt-It Kit I bought at the yard sale back in May!


Wednesday, June 8, 2011


I finally used my embroidery hoops and made a quick and easy wall art project. It's an easy peasy project! My only difficulty: choosing the fabrics! You can find the instructions for the swatch pattern from Purl Bee.

Monday, May 30, 2011


On Saturday, Scarborough Village hosted its annual flea market and as it has been the case in the last 4 years, I had to go to work and miss most of event. However, as usual, by the 1pm closing time, I pop in and still get few great deals on sewing/knitting/craft supplies.
This is what I got this year:

6 embroidery hoops:

3 of the large ones (10 in) were 75 cents each, 2 medium (7 in and 8 in) ones for 50 cents and 1 small one (5 in) for 25 cents. I wanted them all so I asked the lady if I could get a deal. She gave them all to me for $1!!!!!!!!!

Quit-It Kit by Denyse Schmidt: 

Priced at 24.99 US, I don't know why anyone would want to get rid of it! It's brand new with the instruction booklet, the 15 pattern cards, the pattern sheets to photocopy, the 2 fat quarter fabrics for the pillow con the cover, cotton and needle. I was baffled that it was marked $1.50!!!!!!! The lady charged me just $1!

I also got zippers for 15 cents each and left over curdroy and gingham for 50 cents and 25 cents respectively. 

 I can't wait to use them all!

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The upholstered ottoman- foot stool

My craft journey this year began with signing up for the upholstered cube class at the workroom. I've been looking forward to taking this class for about a year but, with university and work, I was never able to take the class whenever it was offered...til now! Being very crafty and handy, I always wanted to do some carpentry work but, not signup for a carpentry class at a community college, so when I knew that the workroom was offering a class that merged carpentry and sewing, I was elated!

The first Sunday class, was all about constructing the cube. Erin provided us with 5 planks of wood and nails and spent nearly half of the class time gluing and hammering away. My main concern during this first part was making sure that the nails went straight in without sticking out or splitting the wood. At some points I hammered nails into knots which Erin told me was ok if I hammered really, really hard.

After hammering, came the cutting of the foam. Erin brought an electric carving knife which did the job superbly. Then I used a staplegun to keep the foam in place. Using a staplegun for the first time was...something. I was supernervous, especially about having my finger in the trigger. It reminded me of those movie scenes where the guy who has never held a gun is shaking their hand and randomly pulls the trigger. I was scared I was going to accidently pull the trigger and hurt someone with the nails. The sound of the staples coming out also made my heart jump quite a few times.

Then it was time for the polyester batting. This was a quick sew but it was tricky to put on because the batting had to be stretched without being teared.

Soon after the lining and the cover came together fairly quickly. Careful cutting, marking, pinning made the sewing a snap. The most important thing I learned is definitely how to round and sew corners. 

The final step was cutting a dust cover to cover up all the fabric and the staples.

The next most exciting thing about the ottoman was getting the legs which I found at Lee Valley on King and Bathurst. I have to say that I saw very nice legs at Home Depot but for price reasons I ended up getting these adjustable legs.

Ta-da! My finished ottoman! I'm so happy with it! I want to make so many of them but it's going to be an expensive hobby- at least for now!