Thursday, March 5, 2009

WARM KNITS FOR A CANADIAN WINTER

I'm keeping my head and my hands warm this winter with these matching hat and mittens. The hat is a 'grown-up' version of Wendi Dunlap's  cupcake hat for babies. I was googling the pattern for the cupcake hat and by chance, I came across her lovely pattern! You can download the PDF pattern here.

To match the hat, I knitted this pair of super warm thrummed mittens! I have knitted mittens before and I once saw someone knit thrummed mittens but I had no idea of what it was called or what was used to make them. After researching, I discovered wool rovings make these mittens so toasty. I got two packs of rovings, one for each hand, from The Workroom. If you want to make your own, the best how-to for thrummed mittens is found at hello yarn! As always, I knitted an i-cord and attached it to each mitten because I used to have the tendency to lose things!

No comments: